Sunday, January 15, 2012

Can I Be A Surgical Oncologist?

396545116 I know I want to be in the Medical Field. I`m in high school now. Though I struggle with math and science I really want to help people. I lost my cousin to cancer. So I thought I would start there. I want to be a surgeon of some kind. Blood does NOT make me squeamish. We dissected a pig fetus in jr. high and I thought it was THE COOLEST thing ever! It`s just that I struggle in math. I have to learn something 3 times to fully understand it. I`m also in this thing for the salary. ;) I was just trying to tell my mom about my dream. She started LAUGHING at me. Saying that you have to be at the top of you class and really really smart to even become a doctor let alone a surgeon let alone a cancer surgeon. Then she just walked out of the room laughing as tears poured down my face. Maybe I don`t have to be a cancer surgeon. Maybe just a General Surgeon. That would be cool. Is there another surgery field like this? I hope one day that I prove her wrong when I`m making tons of money. Could you please help me in perhaps breaking down how exactly to become a surgeon. I know you have to get into a good school( I`m trying to get a Cross Country scholarship) and then get a bachlor`s degree, med school, and then surgery school, and then an extra 2 years or something studying cancer and then an internship. The amount of time doesn`t matter to me. I am thinking about trying to get into the Air Force Academy or something. Please help me? Disney says to follow your dreams.

5 comments:

  1. arjun - I really appreciate your aim.also struggled a lot to get in this position,now am a dental surgeon and consultant as a oral physician,u need to just put some strong efforts ,and no need to get class first,u can achieve your goal easily,i will give some guidelines to follow these guide lines will help u to get the medical field,if you want to be an oncologist,first you need to get into bachelor degree in medicine or surgery,make a note or collect the data of medicine entrance available in your locality,and get the study material and write to get good score hope you will get score because your interested in that field.after bachelor degree you need to get post graduation into the oncology department or you will get some diploma courses in the department of oncology,all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunnyhill - I also want to be a surgeon. Here's the thing. High school doesn't really matter. You have to talk to your med school and ask for the prerequisists. They will give you a list of course that you must have in order to be considered into medschool and yes math is one of them. You also need 90 credits, I live in Canada and we have a credit system.... The toughest part is the MCAT exam which focuses on many key areas including math. It doesn't matter if you major in arts or whatever in college just aslong as you have the 90 credits the prerequisists and atleast an 80% overall grade to even be considered. They also have a heavy interview process and they look at resumes and extracurricular activities and events you have done. I suck at certain subjects myself but you should focus on those subjects and keep learning you are still young, and good luck ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thinkingtime - You have to do a four year university pre med degree before you enter med school. Reckon on 12 years before you start practicing surgery as a general surgeon.

    Work on that math and science in the mean time, you are going to need it. Prepare to study and work harder than you ever have done before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amaretta - You need to be smart and a good student, particularly in science, to get into med school. Start by pushing yourself to do well in high school because you'll be developing the study habits that will get you through college. Once you are in college, you'll need to excel academically (and college is a lot harder than high school) because the competition to get into med school is fierce. You'll need a college GPA above 3.5 and excellent scores on the MCAT exam to get into medical school. You'll spend four years in med school (where you will need good grades to get a surgical residency), followed by probably 5 years of residency perfecting your surgical skills. Surgery is a very challenging career and you'll need to be very disciplined to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gilda - To be a successful surgeon, or doctor of any kind, you have to have great thinking skills and a great memory. No one really uses advanced calculus in their life, but it is an exercise in thinking and problem solving skills.

    Never think of money as the ultimate reward for your career, because it will not provide long-term satisfaction like knowing you have healed people of a terrible disease like cancer. I loved my oncology surgeon. He was thorough, patient, thoughtful, kind, and did a great job getting all the cancer out apparently.

    If you want to help and are not squeamish while dissecting things, you may find great satisfaction being an oncology nurse as well. Sorry your mom treated you like that. You'll have to muster your confidence somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete