Friday, September 30, 2011

Question On Osteoporosis?

396545116 I found out a couple of months ago about my bones thining due to possible onset of osteoporosis.
I am 51 year old male, but times I feel tired and lethargic. my question is my doctor wants to start me on fosamax which is a drug that apperently rebuilds bone, but I am scared after reading up on it as to all the bad side effects it could have. My question is could anybody share their experiences with this drug if they have taken it or know of anyone who has, your input would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2 comments:

  1. jackie m - My friend had osteoporosis and she only took one pill per month to help her bones so you could ask your doctor about that, I believe it is some type of calcium pill. Fosamax does have side effects like, heartburn, diarrhoea, gas etc but have a read at this link for your answers, Good Luck
    http://www.medicinenet.com/alendronate-oral/article.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memere RN/BA - I'm 65 and I have osteoporosis as well. I won't take Fosamax because of the side effects. It would cause my ulcers to bleed, for one. Mine is a personal choice leaving aside the ulcers. I just don't like the side effects of this pill. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. It should be something you discuss with your Dr very seriously. This may work for you. We are all different and not everyone can take the same medications. Your Dr knows what, if any, other medications you take, your overall health, and it's something you need to talk to him about. Good luck. Welcome the world of the senior citizen.

    ReplyDelete