Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Am I Anemic, Here Are My Symptoms..?

396545384 First off, i'm a vegan and I have been for months. I've always been a vegetarian. I don't know much about iron rich foods but I don't believe that I get that much iron regularly.

- constantly tired, i'm always yawning in school even when i've gotten 9-10 hours of sleep
- shortness of breathe, whenever I go running my chest feels weird and it's a little difficult to breath
- chest pain, my whole chest hurts whenever I jump up and down
- i have such a short attention span and it's very hard to focus whenever I read or do homework
- when i was younger I had a great memory but now i'm very bad at remembering simple things like what I learned in spanish class
- depression, i'm not clinically depressed but lately i've been feeling a little down for no reason
- haven't started period and i'm 14.. I hit puberty over a year ago (don't know if this has to do with it but it worries me)
- dizziness!!! I am constantly light headed whenever I stand up. It takes me a few seconds to go back to normal

I'm going to visit my doctor in the next few days to see if I am, but does this sound like anemia? :( i just want to feel better

4 comments:

  1. RIKI - Hmm first this can be anemia but it more sounds like anxiety I have same symptoms snd its because of anxiety , try vitamin b12 500 mcg every day. Dont forget to see the doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Issabale Plop - i have the same thing!!! exept the lung problem...and i have bulimia..but I STILL HAVE IT!!! should i be sccared??

    ReplyDelete
  3. syl c. - Your blood glucose levels are unstable. When you do have these symptoms you should check with a glucometer a meter that measures the blood in your body. Its a slight tweek of your finger and this is measured. You can buy this at your local pharmacy. If you have low blood sugar its usually 70 mg/dl and below fasting and 140 mg/dl is normal 2 hours after eating. Try testing and see what your glucose levels register.

    Try eating five or six small meals, do not skip meals, drink plenty of water and again, test when you feel these symptoms. This is up to you though as to whether you want to test or not. If you visit your doctor mention if you should get your blood glucose level tested. I know your a vegan but this is healthy and should not be causing anemia but only your doctor can diagnose.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara - There are quite a few vegan options for iron, check out this list of high iron foods and pick out the vegan sources like dark (non-dairy) chocolate:
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-iron.php

    Also, check out this list of fruits and vegetables high in iron:
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/fruits-and-vegetables-high-in-iron.php

    These foods are also high in vitamin C which helps iron absorption. It is true, however, that iron is absorbed less efficiently from plant sources...

    With that said, lack of vitamin B12 can also lead to anemia, try eat more foods fortified with vitamin B12, this article has some suggests for vegan sources of vitamin B12:
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/vegan-food-sources-vitamin-b-12.php

    ReplyDelete