Thursday, December 29, 2011

I Broke My Retainer, Will My Teeth Move?

396545381 I often pop my retainer out with my tongue and after about 3 weeks of having the retainer, I have realised this is a bad idea and my retainer has become loose at the back. There is a wire which sits on my molar and I realised this had moved. I stupidly tried to push it back into place with my finger, and now I have moved it even more and when I put it in my mouth it's really tight, I know it's in the wrong position because my mouth doesn't close properly. It's new Christmas time, so it will be really hard to get another appointment and I'm really scared my teeth will move.
So my questions are:
1: Should I just wear the retainer, even though it's tight, yet not painful?
2: Not wear it and leave it for a week or two (but will my teeth shift back to their original position.)
-Either way I'm going to get an orthodontist appointment as soon as I can, but this could be a 1-2 week wait.
-And nothing has snapped off, it has just moved, so will I need to purchase a new retainer or is it fixable?
Please reply ASAP! Thank you!
Thank you both! My orthodontist didn't teach me how to tighten the wire unfortunatly! I've put it back in for now, it's very uncomfortable and I can't close my mouth properly, but I've just put it in anyway and at least it's not painful!
Before I broke it, I noticed that my retainer was coming loose, from popping it out with my tongue, now it's very tight, it this a good thing?
Thank you both very much for your answers!

2 comments:

  1. piticent - My twin sister ended up breaking her wire. It was last year around this time and she couldn't get in until after holiday break which is for us Jan. 9th. She wore it for two weeks broken and it was very loose not helping her teeth at all. But hers only shifted a bit. So when she could finally get in the orthodontist, the doctor told her "This is no biggy" and remade her a retainer to fit her teeth and we paid like $90 and left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love Water - Go to the orthodontist but if you ortho taught you how to tighten the wire do so. Just were it but try to push the wire in tight

    ReplyDelete