Friday, December 30, 2011

How To Eat Healthy On A Serious Budget?

396545382 I feel great when I load up on fruits and veggies, but I simply can't afford it. (Speaking of, thank goodness for free WiFi!) We have white bread, bologna, and Ramen noodles as our basic staples.
I'm battling with (undiagnosed) PCOS caused by insulin resistance, but I can't afford to buy foods to help treat it.

The best I can do is exercise and limit the amounts I eat, but that seems to only get me so far.

What are some good, cheap, healthy foods for a diabetic diet?

BTW- I am 17 and live with just my dad. He is going through a divorce, and between that, child support, and debt we are nearly broke. His income, however, is still too high to qualify for government assistance (such as EBT/ foodstamps).
I cannot control how he spends his money, and being healthy is drastically unimportant to him.

2 comments:

  1. ioerr - Beans and rice.

    If you've got a backyard or something then start a garden and learn how to can stuff.
    If you've got a basement or something you can learn how to grow edible mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Mom - frozen vegetables cost less than fresh ones from the produce section. Also, frozen vegetables are picked with they are ripe and have more nutrients in them than the others which are picked before they are ripe and are treated with a gas to make them change color. Your current diet of ramen white bread and bologna is doing nothing to help your condition. Those are empty calories and provide little in the way of nutrients.

    you could try getting your dad to watch a documentary about nutrition like "fat sick and nearly dead" or "forks over knives" to kind of smack him in the face about how diet can affect your health.. even kill you. When you turn 18 you can get food stamps on your own. There are people who have cured themselves of diabeties and heart disease, even cancer, just by changing their diet. You could also learn some tricks for grocery shopping. Grocery stores start their sales on wednesday generally and wal-mart will honor competitor sale ads. I save 20-50 bucks a week, sometimes more, just by doing the price matching and coupon clipping and matching my coupons to the weekly sales and stocking up on frozen vegetables when they are on sale.

    ReplyDelete