Thursday, December 29, 2011

Can I Eat Normally A Day After Having A Root Canal Permanentally Filled For A Day?

396545381 im 15 years old and yesterday, i just had my first root canal done on one of my molars. the dr insterted a few gutta percha's and i believe he burned it , then filled it, or just burned it. im not exactly sure. but i was wondering if i could eat normally, or chew on that side at all. it bothers me and im worried that if i chew on that side, ill mess something up. i dont want to crack a tooth or anything. and im not trying to spend this whole christmas break chewing small amounts of food on my right side. my next appointment is only on january 5th
the doctor didnt tell me anything too specific. he just told me to wait an hour before eating anything hot, and if i was really hungry i should eat ice cream. but that was over 24 hours ago. and the only adult there was my mom. but i filled out all the paper work and they didnt give me any instructions afterwards

2 comments:

  1. Mary Kontrarry - Do whatever your dentist told you to do. Whichever parent took you there should have the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy - Yes, the gutta percha was heated & in a plastic state was put into the cleaned out root canals, then filled the canals while still warm.
    Yes, you can eat normally now. A filling was placed in the access hole in the tooth, and the doctor told you to wait because the filling wasn't "set" yet.
    Your next appointment will probably be to get an impression taken for a crown, or possibly for a post to be put into the tooth for reinforcement as teeth that have been treated like this get brittle - due to the nerve and blood supply being gone.
    So - eat - enjoy your Christmas dinner (and your break from school), but don't go crunching jaw breakers or nuts on that tooth, because like I said, it's not as strong as it once was.

    **Hope this helped!

    ReplyDelete