Friday, September 23, 2011

How Do I Get Rid Of My Keratosis Pilaris?

396545389 Since you've clicked on this, I'm assuming you know what it is. But if you're unsure, it's a skin condition where you get these little ugly red bumps on your arms that are supposedly plugged hair follicles. Yeah, yeah. It's nasty. I know. But I have it really really bad and it's on my upper arms.

Here is a description of it:

Keratosis pilaris (KP, also follicular keratosis) is a common, autosomal dominant, genetic follicular condition that is manifested by the appearance of rough bumps on the skin. It most often appears on the back and outer sides of the upper arms (though the lower arms can also be affected), and can also occur on the thighs, hands, and tops of legs, flanks, buttocks, or any body part except glabrous skin (like the palms or soles of feet).Less commonly, lesions appear on the face, which may be mistaken for acne. Keratosis pilaris is completely harmless; however the condition can contribute to or exacerbate depression and anxiety.

^So, yeah. That sums it up. I am already extremely self concious because I have psoriasis, too. I really need help. I have been depressed for quite a long time, and I need to get rid of this.

I don't have the money to go the the dermotologist at the time, but I'll go when I do. For now, though, is there anything I can do?

Btw, if you're still unsure what it is you can look up a pic.

1 comment:

  1. izzy - It has been suggested that lactic acid and alpha hydroxy acid are effective in clearing the bumps as they 'peel' the upper layer of the skin. Salicylic acid is proved to be useful also. KP sufferers usually have dry skin, therefore moisturising is very important. Some people try soaking in hot tub baths and then rubbing the areas with a coarse wash cloth or loofah sponge.

    It often fades with age.

    ReplyDelete