Sunday, November 27, 2011

What To Do With In-grown Toe Nails?

396545389 both of my big toes are ingrown on both sides as i found out i was cutting them wrong after searching online.
i had been cutting them at the sides and noticed recently i started to get sore around both my big toes and they began to get red and swollen,i have now been cutting them straight across,the right way but i think ive left it too late cause the pain and swelling is getting worse.
ive been to my doctor about this and she had a look at them and said they were infected and gave me antibiotics... sure this will help with the infection but not the cause and i have been trying to help myself for the last 2 days by soaking my feet in warm water with dettol and pushing a few small cotton balls under the corners of my toe nails to try and relief some of the pressure.

could really use some feedback on what to do and treatments or you even telling me to go back to my doctor and demanding something be done about it.

in pain here lol :(

3 comments:

  1. shannon - Soaking them in warm water will make it worse because it will make the skin around it swell. Go to the podiatrist and get them professionally cut. They cut the nerves on either side and they will never grow back ingrown again. I got it done 7 years ago and have never have to worry about it again...and it doesn't even hurt to get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lia - Don't think there's much u can do except let them grow out and continue making sure u cut STRAight across. Just take the antiboiotics and don't stop w/ them.http://www.footphysicians.com/footankleinfo/ingrown-toenail.htm

    •Don’t place cotton under the nail. Not only does this not relieve the pain, it provides a place for harmful bacteria to grow, resulting in infection.
    •Over-the-counter medications are ineffective. Topical medications may mask the pain, but they don’t correct the underlying problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. webnerd161 - i had the same problem for years on end. when i finally decided to get them operated on. I now have no toe nail on my left big toe, and on my right a new one has developed. It's all fine now. I'd see about getting the toe nails removed. But i do warn you it hurts like hell till it heals.

    ReplyDelete