Monday, November 28, 2011

Is It Possible To Develop Cat And Other Pet Allergies Later In Life?

396545383 I had a cat and a dog for most of my childhood, and never had a problem being around them and other pets. After they both died, there was a period in my life where I wasn't around animals a lot. I moved across the country and began to be around people with dogs. I seemed to have a slight allergic reaction to them whenever I would go to their homes.

Then maybe 3 or 4 years ago we got two cats, Persians, the only kind of cat my mom is not allergic to. I was fine living with them. I went away to college recently and came back for Veteran's Day weekend. It seems like I am having a very strong allergic reaction to them. My face, eyelids, lips started peeling and I was itchy everywhere. (That has sense gotten a bit under control). My throat swelled up really tight when I woke up this morning and though the swelling has gone down it is still very dry, uncomfortable, hard to talk and swallow. I have some sniffles and stuffy nose as well.

I've taken Benadryl...what else should I do? Am I really allergic?

2 comments:

  1. Pisces_mom - Seriously, yes, it is possible to become allergic as an adult. Based on your symptoms you need to go to the emergency room to get a prednisone shot. You may be experiencing an anaphylactic reaction and that is something to take quite seriously. The reason you should get seen at the hospital is because your throat can swell and cut off your breathing entirely while you sleep if this is a serious allergic reaction. I know this because I have had allergies for a very long time and this has happened to me in the past and the only thing that resolves this type of reaction is immediate corticosteroid IV treatment. Please get yourself to the er or nearest clinic before something bad really happens to you. Good luck.

    This link will provide you with more information about the severity of your reaction: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaphylaxis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jdawg - One can develop allergies at any time in life (even in your 50s, 60s, 70s and on).

    Usually when it is obvious what the triggers are, it is most likely you are allergic. While one could chose to go to an allergist and get tested, it really doesn't offer much advantage for a cat allergy.

    What can you do? Avoid the cats, don't sit on their chairs, don't pet them, use a bedroom that is always cat free (even when you aren't there), don't let them sleep on your bed (or even worse, on your head). Spend time in the rooms that are easiest to keep clean (e.g. with hard floors rather than carpets.) There are a number of OTC antihistamines, if Benadryl works without making you sleepy that is great. Zyrtec and several others are also possibilities. The one that is most effective for you is only known by experimenting.

    See what happens when you go back to school after this weekend, and then when you come home again for the next holiday. It may not be Fluffy, it may be wood smoke, or mold or your Dad's cologne or just about anything.

    ReplyDelete