Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Use Of Mobile Phones Causes Brain Tumours?

396545116 Hi I use the mobile phone a lot, and I mean a lot - my boyfriend and I spend at least 3 hours a day on the phone because we're in a long distance relationship and we're at opposite ends of the world. If we are not on the phone we're texting, and our phones are always turned on - even when we're sleeping (we fall asleep on the phone together).

Anyway, at the rate we use mobile phones, is it true that we'll be more prone to 'you know what'? I'm sorry I don't wanna say it (superstitious me :) ) He uses the phone with the speaker all the time, but does that reduce the risk by a lot? I don't use hands free devices and I rarely use the speaker phone.

Is this bad? I know you would tell us to stop using mobile phones too much but it's our only means of communication (and we cannot stay online all day) as we're both not at the computer frequently.

Please advise! Thank you guys!
So let's say I get a bluetooth, it means that my phone can be far away - let's say on the table, but he can hear me and I can hear him right..? I'm sorry I'm not much of a tech-savvy person :P

Thanks for answering!

6 comments:

  1. hasse_john - I would say yes. The phone puts out waves, like microwaves, and holding it right near your head for long periods of time would likely not be good. Get an earphone, at least, so the phone is a bit away from your head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. scoutma53 - No-one knows for sure yet. It's a long-term thing. Some studies say yes, others not enough proof. In your position with so many hours I would definitely go with hands-free though.
    Like with cigarettes and lung cancer, it takes so long to develop, who can say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ziggy - yes cell phones can give off radiation that could potenitally increase ones risk of cancer.

    but so do televisions and radios, who's waves are constantly in the air. your wireless router, your laptop/desktop screen. any electrical object you plug in gives off some sort of radiation.
    so does the sun, that causes much more radiation to make contact with you than a cell phone.
    microwave ovens put off radiation
    turns out most tap water has low amounts of radiation. so do foods. so does all of japan.
    living in any city means there are more carcinogens in the air, living near power plants or oil refineries, even non nuclear ones, puts you at risk to higher levels of radiation.

    the chances of you getting cancer and begin able to solely blame it on a cellphone is close to zero

    ReplyDelete
  4. cfs_angels - Yeah, that's true. I guess the best you can do is get a bluetooth headset, or yeah, switch to speaker on or earphones. Another tip is that after you send the text message, try letting go of the phone. The risk is higher when you're in contact with the phone and you're about to receive a text message. Also, don't sleep near your phone, esp. beside your head, under the pillow or even on the bed. Lastly, try not answering calls when the battery is on the last bar, as the radiation is 1000x higher.
    Hope this helps. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. gazeygoo - The theory that cell phones cause cancer seems to be an internet hoax that circulates. There is currently no evidence that they cause brain cancer but don't forget that info has a tendency to change with the tides.

    ReplyDelete
  6. april - Researchers don't put out internet hoaxes. It has been shown to increase the risk of head and neck cancers with long term use, moreso with kids, as their skulls are thinner. Blue tooth is just as bad, so use a wired ear piece. I have the scar on my skull to prove it. I also have the pdf on the 10 year, 14 country study.

    ReplyDelete