Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Is There Going To Be Long Lasting Damage?

396545384 Well I've had diabetes type 1 for 17 years since I was 4,
I went to Turkey a few weeks ago and when our flight home was delayed we was sent to a hotel and told there was food available ect, I had something to eat and drink did everything right as usual, checked my blood sugars and done my insulin, anyway the following day when I got up I was very ill. Couldn't stop being sick and felt terrible, I spoke to our "reps" and they said that I should have a few hours rest before our new flight took place, anyway my condition worsened and my blood sugars shot up, even though I followed all the rules and took extra insulin turned out I had very bd food poisoning, I was constantly being sick all day and night even on the plane for 4 hours, I was offered no help from the aircraft staff either, when the plane landed (which I can not remember) I was rushed to critical care, I had ketones and couldn't breath I was very dehydrated and very ill.
Anyway will all this have any long lasting problems on me as I have always been pretty well and had very good blood sugar levels and never been in hospital, I was in a very bad way and now it has.scared me to death as I have never been through anything like that.
Will my kidneys and everything be ok? My sodium and potassium levels are very low too what will happen with that? I only got out of hospital today,
Thank you x

4 comments:

  1. Mitchel - There might be some future complications with the ketones, but there isn't a high likely hood. As for the food poisoning pretty doubtful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. micksmixxx - The response from Mitchel is 100% wrong, my friend. I can almost guarantee that by the time you left the hospital there would have been no ketones present.

    In all likelihood there will be no long-term damage. Put it down to a 'one off' incident. Your kidneys will, most likely, NOT have been damaged. There's more chance of your kidneys being damaged if you have uncontrolled high blood sugars (glucose levels) for an extended period of time.

    You're correct in believing that sodium and potassium levels can be affected. These electrolytes can change rather rapidly if you're vomiting and/or have diarrhoea [diarrhea, if you are, in fact, one of my American cousins].

    I'm glad that you now appear to have made a recovery.

    By the way, that's something for you to bear in mind next time you're travelling [traveling] ... especially in foreign countries ... that food isn't always prepared to the same exacting standards that you may be used to at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noccie - No. One bad episode of ketoacidosis will not cause you long lasting damage. You A1c level can be very high from this problem, but it will eventually level out. Keep drinking Gatorade or whatever the docs have suggested to get your sodium and potassium levels back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tabea - I'm sorry you've been so ill and I hope you are on the mend now.

    There are usually few lasting ill-effects from diabetic ketoacidosis. You will have been given potassium in the hospital to bring your levels up to a normal level.

    ReplyDelete