Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Could I Have Had A Sugar Overdose?

396545384 I had a very light lunch before I went to work, and on my break I grabbed a piece of cake from a large box cake that was sitting out for all the employees. I'd felt fine the entire day, very happy and talkative. But about an hour or so after my break I started feeling funny. I became less talkative and more unhappy. Dizzy, shaky and sick. About 20 minutes before I was supposed to leave for the day, I got sweaty and had to run to the bathroom, and I threw up. It's been hours since I've been back home now, and I still am not feeling up to par (took some pepto a little while ago, which has helped). I'm hungry, but the sound of food is repulsive.

Could this be a sugar overdose, or could it be some kind of food poisoning?

2 comments:

  1. SethSpeaks - No that is not enough to 'overdose' you. Not even anywhere near to that. You might have food poisoning, or you might just have just upset your stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike Z - Eating the cake and you getting sick might be a coincidence. Only if it happens several times that you get sick after eating lots of sugar, then you might suspect that this has something to do with your blood sugar level.

    If other people who ate the cake also got sick, then you might suspect the presence of some kind of bacterial toxin in the cake.

    But if only you got sick, then most likely you got a stomach flu that has nothing to do with the cake. It takes at least 24 hours to get the symptoms of a stomach flu after infection with norovirus.

    ReplyDelete