Monday, October 10, 2011

What Other Foods Can I Be Allergic To?

396545383 I have an allergy to penicillin and was always told to stay away from moldy breads and other molds. I'm not a big mushroom eater, but once in a while I'll have the occasional dish containing mushrooms and usually after eating them I break out into a TINY rash, mostly on my arms. Yesterday I had a dish that contained more mushrooms than I usually eat, and this morning I woke up with itchiness and a rash around my mouth and nose. I realize I have a mushroom allergy (although never been tested), so my question is, is my mushroom allergy related to my penicillin allergy? and are there other foods that I should watch out for due to these allergies? (ex cheeses, vegetables etc.)

I'll appreciate any advice!
Thanks,
Danielle

2 comments:

  1. Coug - "It is possible, however, for people with mold allergy to be predisposed to food allergies. Penicillin can be found in certain aged and blue-veined cheeses, such as Roquefort and Camembert. There have been reports of food allergy reactions in people who eat these cheeses. Symptoms of oral allergy syndrome have also been reported in people with mold allergies who have eaten raw mushrooms."

    http://allergies.about.com/od/fa1/f/moldfoodmeds.htm

    People who are allergic to penicillin are not necessarily allergic to mushrooms. Some people with penicillin allergies can eat mushrooms and be unaffected. It's just an individual basis.

    A lot of the time allergies can also be hereditary. If you were to ask your parents what they are allergic to there is a chance that you could also be allergic to it as well but it's no guarantee.

    Personal experience:
    My parents are allergic to sulfa based drugs. I didn't know this and found out the hard way, luckily it was just a topical eye drop prescription and it wasn't taken internally. Made my face break out but went away after stopping the medication.

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Human - Hi Danielle - Sorry to note that you seem to be having allergy like problems. I am not convinced that your information is right. If you eat something to which you are allergic the rash will be all over your body not just around the mouth. This is because the allergen is carried to all parts of the body by the circulatory system.
    The diagnosis of penicillin allergy does not seem to be right. Also, the advice to stay from mouldy bread etc. does not seem right. Moulds are everywhere. They are not visible to the eyes. How can anyone keep away from molds. Mold is on bread etc literally all the time.
    Cooked mushrooms usually denature the proteins. Therefore they should not bring about the signs and symptoms of an allergy.
    My gut feeling is that you are listening to someone who is not knowledgeable. Please consider seeing a doctor or a nurse.

    ReplyDelete