Monday, October 31, 2011

So Upset And Scared. Do I Have Type Ii Diabetes?

396545384 Here is some background details. I have recently over come an addiction to sweets. go ahead and laugh, but I seriously went through a period where I would eat a disgusting amount of candy. At least once a week, usually on the weekends I would eat a large bag of candy, like the really big bags you can get at the pharmacy. I'd usually eat this in one night or within two days. Besides that I am relatively healthy. The regular food I eat is usually organic, lean, and high in fiber. I don't really drink soda, I occasionally drink juice, but usually water. I am 5'7" and 135 lbs, with a bmi of 21.1, so I am in the mid/lower range of a healthy normal weight. I am relatively active, I go for long walks at least five times a day. the one thing that concerns me is that I have a few symptoms of diabetes:

Extreme thirst
Extreme hunger
Frequent urination
Sores or bruises that heal slowly
Dry, itchy skin
Unexplained weight loss
Blurry vision
Unusual tiredness or drowsiness
Tingling or numbness in the hands or feet
Frequent or recurring skin, gum, bladder or vaginal yeast infections

Of those symptoms listed above, I have noticed that I bruise easily and that it takes a week or so to heal. I am very fair skinned, I am not sure if maybe that can effect it. I find that I am often tired, but I am suffering from depression, so I'm not sure if that is the reason why either. I also have had 2 uti's and 1 yeast infection in the past year. So my question is: am I over reacting? Or do I seriously have a reason to worry? Besides that my health seems fine. I haven't had a cold or any sort of sickness in a long time. Before you say go to the doctors and get a test, I do not have health insurance at the moment so it would be very exspensive. I only want to go if I have a reason to be SERIOUSLY worried. Thank you!!!!
***Five times a WEEK, not day! haha, sorry!
*****PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME TO GO TO THE DOCTOR TO GET A TEST******* I know that this is the only way to know for sure!!! I want to know if I have a GOOD REASON to be worried!!!!!!!!!!
**@ Succubus, thank you!! That is an EXCELLENT idea! One of my good friends has diabetes, I'm surprised I never thought to do that! I can't choose a best answer at the moment, but it will definitely go to you!

7 comments:

  1. itzy - only one way to tell-get a blood test-if you do nothing about it you will just worry and that is unnecessary,go and get tested

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Kontrarry - ONLY A DOCTOR can tell you if you have diabetes. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Succubus - Have someone with a diabetes blood kit, prick your fingers to check blood sugar? I did to my brother and he got 4, lol that means he isn't diabetic compared to my father who has 249, that's way too high...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tabea - Nobody can diagnose you over the Internet. If you are worried, please get your blood sugar checked. This does not have to be at a doctor's. Many pharmacies offer free diabetes screenings. You can even do it yourself. All you need is a blood glucose meter and some testing strips.

    Diabetes is not caused by eating too much sugar. Nor is it caused by being obese, or not eating healthily. The main risk factors are genes and age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emilyboo - buy a blood sugar meter, strips, and ketone test

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nana Lamb - Most of the list of symptoms of diabetes are the same for most of the endocrine diseases, and do not show up until a person has had very high glucose level for a very long time, years!!!

    Your few symptoms are among those that are for every endocrine problem, including thyroid and anemia!!

    Candy addiction is not a cause of Diabetes!! Working in a candy factory or a bakery does not cause diabetes either!!

    Find your friend with a glucometer and get them to do the quick finger pricking, but that most likely won't help you to know either. That is only a snapshot in time.

    Eating organic food is not a guarantee of good healthy food!! It is only a guarantee that you are paying way too much for your foods.

    ReplyDelete
  7. tod m - County Hospitals and many clinics help the uninsured with low cost or free medical. get tested, it's the ONLY way to know for sure.
    test your blood sugar on your arm, it doesn't hurt there, 2 hours after eating a meal. 80-120 is normal
    tingling is a symptom of circulation problems, often from diabetes. avoid sugar. urinary tract infections are often caused by kidney problems from diabetes. diabetes is the most common cause of kidney failure.

    ReplyDelete