Saturday, October 15, 2011

Im Definitely Allergic To Whatever Metal Is In My Belt And Earphones But What Should I Do?

396545383 I'm a 16 yr old guy (not that it matters, just throwing it out there I guess) and i got this pair of skullcandy earphones last month. Great quality, BUT whenever I listen to music with them for longer than, say, 10 minutes, the "rejection" (the little piece that you can plug your ear with) gets really really itchy and scabs usually follow. I noticed that one of the parts that touches my "rejections" is this thin ring of silver/metal on the earphones.

When I started noticing this, I remembered a really bad rash I got last year on my lower stomach because I was wearing a belt, and the metal part was somehow touching my stomach. I must be allergic to whatever that metal is. So my questions are:

-What kind of "metal" is it likely to be?
-What can I do to fix this? (paint with nail polish, etc.)

THANKS SO MUCH :).

3 comments:

  1. hapahun - I have a (sort of) similar problem. I can't wear earrings that aren't made of gold, silver or sterling silver for more than a few hours at a time. I'm allergic to surgical steel and cheaper metals because of the high nickel content. Since my ears have been pierced for several years, they've healed up enough to allow me to wear earrings with those types of metal for certain periods of time. Cheap metal on costume-type necklaces can give me a rash sometimes too. Nail polish might not work with your headphones because it might mess with your sound quality, worth a shot with your belt though. For your earphones, I'd either buy those little foam slips that go on top or, sorry, buy new earphones where the metal won't touch your ear. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. David - STOP USING THE BELT AND EARPHONES.

    Talk to a doctor about the scabs and rash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JUST ME - I am the same way as Hapahun,allergic to nickle,
    cobalt (usually what buckles,zippers,metal buttons
    are made of) & surgical steel (gold has some nickle in it too)
    .I had emergency heart surgery a few years ago,as a result of too much latex powder
    building up in my kidneys..they cleared them out,then I had 2 more nasty reactions to latex.The meds they use to treat reactions,caused what they had cleared from my kidneys,to go straight to my heart.
    they had to remove the wire from my ribs because I was
    reacting internally to the surgical steel .I still have problems because they had to leave all 21 surgical steel staples that have to hold the arteries closed

    you can have a test done to see what metals
    you are reacting to & how bad the reactions are
    Benadryl will helps with the reactions,it's the only
    med with antihistamine in it.Benadryl anti itch cream can be used for your ears,just don't use too much of it.
    when we have too much of an IeG protein we are allergic
    to,the body sends out histines,that's where an antihistamine helps block it.
    My son just had the skin test for metals..he's allergic to everything but sterling silver.
    I have dealt with severe reactions since i was an infant.First reaction was to the soy in the
    formula they were feeding me.After that I was a human test subject for 35 years.

    ReplyDelete