Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Gestational Diabetes, Different Numbers Same Finger?

396545384 ok so about 2 weeks ago they diagnosed me with gestational diabetes at 30 weeks pregnant. they gave me a meters test strips and every thing. then a few days ago they sent me test strip refills along with another meter (the same exact kind, why i have no idea?) and a different finger picker thingy. so i last night i tried an experiment. i tested one finger on each of the machines...but got totally different numbers! i just tested again and the same thing happened, it was off by like 5 points! why is this? could it be the test strips? also they never told me my testing results could their be a chance i'm just borderline or barely over the limit? my numbers are never usually high. i don't trust these little machines now tho!

3 comments:

  1. Panther4Life - This is completely normal. With home diabetes testing, there is an error of margin for the meter which can vary as much as 30 mg/dl. The results will also be different between fingers, alternative testing sites, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Felex Fff - Glucose monitors are unfortunately not reliable. You have to rely on the reading. Your difference is fine. They can vary by up to 50mg/dl (2.75 mmol/l) when your sugar is high. I did the same thing, with the same blood from my finger and the difference was 20mg/dl (1.1 mmol/l). I also did a test with 3 different machines and they ranged from 150 (8.75mmol/l) to 250 (13.75mmol/l)! Imagine my frustration. If you have any other questions visit my blog, it's FREE. There are some issues with gestational diabetes I may not have the answer to immediately. I have the professional ability to find the answers, I do not use the internet. The false information and greed gives you much misinformation!
    http://icantaffordmyinsulin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandi C - I called the nutritionist when my numbers were coming out funky, like yours, and she said the higher your numbers, the larger the margin of error. She said when the numbers were lower, they were more accurate, but still could have a 20% margin of error. I'd call your diabetes nutritionist/counselor/ or doctor and discuss it with them, find out which machine they want you to use-or go with the lower one ;)
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete