Sunday, October 16, 2011

Will They Remove My Thyroid Or The Thyroid Nodule Or Do Nothing?

396545116 I have an enlarged lymph node, about the size of a quarter on my neck. A surgeon did a needle biopsy and there was no sign of cancer. I also have noticeably swollen lymph nodes behind my ears, about the size of peas. My doctor also said my lymph nodes were slighly enlarged in my armpits. My general doctor also found a very small nodule on my thyroid, so small that they had to do an ultrasound to make sure what she was feeling was actually there. The surgeon told me that he was relatively sure it was not lymphoma and if it was it would be very treatable because it would be in the very very early stages. He also did not think my lymph nodes were related to my thyroid because he said sometimes when it's thyroid cancer it will spread to the neck lymph nodes, but since I had other lypmh nodes swollen that was unlikely that the two were related. (I am still not sure I agree completley with the fact that my other lymph nodes were swollen...because I was sick when I saw him and it would be normal to have all my lymphnodes swollen somewhat... and I only extremely noticeable ones that won't go away on my neck) Anyways, I have been having a sore throat for like three weeks, and a hoarse voice that comes and goes, which I have only had once or twice in my life before this. A surgeon (who I actually never saw, that just reviewed the ultrasound) said the lump on my thyroid was to small for her to even do a biopsy so she is referring me to an endrocronologist. My question is, since the nodule is so small will they or could they even do anything even though I am having all the signs and symptoms of a thyroid nodule?

1 comment:

  1. cbrdgt. - They will likely continue to monitor it with a yearly/ bi-yearly ultrasound. Surgeons tend to leave alone nodules that are not bothersome.

    ReplyDelete