Monday, October 17, 2011

What Levels Or Markers Need To Be Reached Before One Can Have A Knee Replacement Put Back In?

396545384 My husband had a knee revision done in March and was released by the Dr. to have a back surgery. The back was done in May and he was sent to a rehab hospital and on the 9th day there I discovered his knee was swollen,had fever and red streaks going down the leg. It was determined he had MRSA and they started Vancomycin IV's every 12 hours. This went on from around May 20th until August 12th when he was discharged home. He also had to have the knee revision removed on June 3rd due to it being infected. On Oct 4th we saw the infectious disease doctor only to learn the level is 52%, and we will probably have to wait until March of 2012 to get another knee put in, Is this in line with this type of disease or infection?

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Peachy® - I can't answer your initial question as I have no idea about any levels or markers. I can say that my sweetheart had hip replacement surgery done on August 22nd and is having a lot of trouble with infection around the incision. So much so, that they had to go in and rework the incision on Sept. 30th. Each time, she got different instructions on how to care for it. Scary, huh? Saturday morning, despite the rework, her incision is, once again, worsening. We're very worried. Of course, we can't get in touch with the doctor because it's Sunday. So, based on my experience, I would say that your experience is not unusual. My brother works in a hospital and sees recurring infections after hip/knee implants all too often. Scary stuff. I pray that your husband and my fiancee heal quickly and don't have to suffer much longer. I pray because I don't think doctors are all they're cracked up to be.

    ReplyDelete