Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I'm Scared. What Should I Do?

396545385 My dad passed away when he was 43 in part because of a genetic condition that also killed his sister. I believe she was in her forties when it took her life as well.

My mom didn't tell me the whole truth about why my dad died, and never told me about my aunt.

I'm 27 and scared. I had an EKG a few days ago that turned up normal, but should I consult a cardiologist? There's a chance I might not have it, since I might have inherited my mom's genes and some of my dad's siblings didn't have it (only one that I know of), but am I at a high risk?
A genetic heart condition.
So an EKG isn't enough?
Of course I'm afraid!

2 comments:

  1. anonymouse - I would just in case I have a similar issue with skin cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. J - Yes, get screened and tested. Try not to be afraid, instead do everything you can for yourself and be persistant, it would be good to get two or three opinions from different doctors.

    Do advocate for yourself. Insist they keep looking and run the extra tests that they may say you don't need.

    ReplyDelete