Sunday, October 9, 2011

I Have An Allergy Induced Sinus Infection. Will It Go Away On It's Own?

396545383 I have 2 questions.

1. Will a sinus infection (in my eyes mostly) go away on it's own or do I need antibiotics? I get these often and always have it treated with antibiotics but have never been told if it will go away on it's own if I suffer through it, or will it just continue to get worse?

2. Is it possible to suffer through my allergies without treating it and try to build up an immunity to try to get my allergies to go away and not come back? Or is that wishful thinking? (that's actually why I get the sinus infections because I don't do anything about my allergies when they hit)

Ive never been allergic to anything until 8 years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter. The doctor said it was common in pregnancies because of the hormone changes. It never went away and the older I get the worse they get. I get really bad sinus infections twice a year it seems like from these allergies that just hit me over night.

Another reason I'm being stubborn about it all is because the only allergy medicine that works for me is a prescription called xyzal. With insurance it cost me 40.00 and if I take it everyday for a month, I'm usually perfectly fine for several months after. And then about 6 months later they are back to haunt me. I had 1 refill left and went to get it filled only to find out my insurance no longer covers allergy meds because they claim over the counter stuff works just as good and it doesn't! I haven't found 1 otc allergy medicine that works. So now my prescription costs 90.00 :( I have to get my doctor to call the insurance co to "verify" that I really need this. So I'm currently waiting on that to happen. It's been several days so far and nothing. In the mean time I have developed a horrible sinus infection and will have to go back to the doctor. It's never ending.... Any info would be great, thanks!

1 comment:

  1. JUST ME - it is a myth that you can out grow allergies..What really happens is people stay away from allergens..so when they try something again,they may not react badly..yet in time they can have a severe reaction.That happened to a couple of my cousins,they are allergic to seafood..they stayed away for years,then had some,within 20 minutes they were in the ER & had to stay in the hospital for 7 days on IVs.They were told by so many they had outgrown the allergy.
    I have dealt with allergies since I was an infant (51 now) I had 5 immunology series..my allergies have all turned into severe ones now.The last time I was RAST tested,I went into anaphylaxis shock.

    Infections do need to be treated or they can spread to other areas
    I use 25mgs Benadryl ( none of the RX ones work,since they don't have an antihistamine in them) during allergy seasons..Nasonex nasal spray as needed
    I agree that none of the OTC ones work..the only one that really helps is Benadryl ( note there is a lot of red dye in the regular ones.I get blinding band headaches from it...I use the clear one) Walgreens sells their brand which works as well as the Benadryl brand one,a lot cheaper though.

    .I usually use a saline nose spray,because they don't contain meds & don't need an RX.I also found the Vicks Nasal Inhalers really help keep the sinuses open
    Before they came out with all the nasal sprays,my Mom used to use the following to help me breath & open up my sinuses:
    2 teaspoons of Vicks Vapor Rub
    1 quart of boiled water
    mix in a bowl...place a towel over your head (like a tent)
    put the bowl 10" to 12" under your face
    slowly breath in..make sure you have some tissues (it will make your nose run)
    never put Vicks on your face or in your nose..
    the other thing you can do is rub some Vicks on your chest,then take a steamy shower..it will open things up too.
    best of luck with it

    ReplyDelete