Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I'm Getting A Crown Fitted On My Left Molar?

396545381 right so i went to the dentist on wednesday today's a friday basically that tooth is much smaller now he got me to bite this chewy gluey stuff not sure wat it is called and it remained on my tooth i think to protect it i've now managed to brush it off by accident will my tooth b alrite my next appointment's on 10th of october 2011(11 days away) there's no pain there but when i feel that tooth wiv my tongue it's weird and i've been avoiding putting any food there in case i make it worse i'm eating food through my right side of my mouth i would have asked the dentist on that day but i forgot and basically he injected me twice cos i said it still hurt so he said it was not numb enough after that procedure i had a lot of pain that side so wanted to get out of there straight away so wat i wanna know is before they put the crown on wat's that gluey orangey toothpaste stuff for and was it supposed to still b on my tooth until the next appointment when it was on my tooth it felt like i had gum stuck to my tooth or even that blu-tack stuff any help wud b appreciated especially by a dentist thanks

2 comments:

  1. Endless - hey there,

    the orange gluey stuff you are talking about is called (light body impression material) , you can search it on google pics to make sure..

    it is a material that records the shape of your prepared tooth so it fits the crown on top of it, and to see if there is enough space between the crown and your tooth..

    it is not meant to stay on the tooth, it can be very easily removed so obviously it cannot protect the tooth, your dentist should've removed it back then, because it is used for detecting the fitting not for protection, it is ok that you removed it yourself anyway..

    if you want to protect your tooth, just keep taking care of your oral hygiene, since your tooth now misses its enamel and protected by a weaker layer of dentin you need to take extra care and avoid eating hard sticky food especially on the left side..

    brush twice daily at least, floss and use mouth wash so you keep your tooth and gum healthy to the next appointment..

    good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. dgirl - The answer above is correct, but your dentist should have put a temporary crown in place before leaving the surgery. That is not great that you have nothing protecting that prepared tooth, not good practice.

    ReplyDelete