Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Heart Palpitations... Long Explanation, Please Help?

396545385 A couple months ago, I was having heart palpitations so bad that when I laid in bed at night, the pounding in my heart would make my body twitch because it hurt so bad. It would jolt me awake, and my metabolism was so high that if I didn't eat at least once every couple hours, I would feel faint. I went to my normal medical doctor and he seemed alarmed, as you could see my pulse in my stomach, and immediately recommended that I see a cardiologists ASAP. He did an EKG, along with some blood testing, and all was well. My pulse was at around 160 beats per minute resting, and every time I moved, even turned over when I laid down, it would go up.

I had an ultrasound of my heart to see if there was a hole, and the doctor said there was a small hole, but nothing to worry about. I also had a heart murmur, but again, no one thought it was anything to worry about. After seeing my cardiologist, I was given metoprolol.

I have been taking it a couple months, twice a day, but it made my heart beat slow, but still hard. I have put on weight because it slowed down my metabolism. I stopped taking it every day, twice a day because of this, and started taking it whenever I needed it. Now every once in a while, regardless of how many times a day I take it, I go through a random spell where it beats so hard, it hurts my back and makes me feel weak. I believe it is a panic attack, but my mom thinks it isn't, even thought most of my family has them. (I am 19 years old).

Does anyone have any clue at all what this could be? I am going back to my doctor this week, but I just want to know if anyone else has this problem.

2 comments:

  1. aziz - probably inappropriate sinus tachycardia, but a cardiology consultation and further investigations may reveal the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1500 - I also think maybe it is tachycardia, as the symptoms of tachycardia and anxiety attacks are very similar. But also think you should not rule out anything else. I would also suggest getting a second opinion on this condition from another doctor.

    ReplyDelete