Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Colleges For Cancer Kids?

396545116 I had cancer when I was six hears old. I also had Spinal Meningitas, a stroke, blood poisoning. I was paralyzed from the neck down and am now fully deaf in my left ear and 50% hearing in my right. I can walk now after 2 years of chemotherapy and Physical Therapy for until I was 12. I can write, talk, eat and sleep like a normal person and would say that I am the funny one out of my group of friends. I even play baseball and am catcher for my team, but I love hockey and am Goalie for my highschool. But maonly right now I'm worried about college. I am a senior and am terrified of living on my own. I want to get out of my town, it holds bad memories. Yes it has good memories but I also just need a change of pace. I have a GPA of 4.0 and I have gone through 4 years of Math, Science, and English. This year I am technically taking my first year of college with all my AP classes. AP: English, Physics, Chem. Calculus, Prob. & Statistics. I do Physics club and am in sports as well. But my family is very poor. I have no money saved for college and am in need of a scholarship. Or a decrease in pay for hard of hearing. Any ideas?

3 comments:

  1. N - Talk to a counselor or advisor at school. There are scholarships you can apply for especially if you have good grades and are motivated.
    You can also visit colleges or contact them and ask if they have scholarships that you can apply for.
    If not you can always take out student loans which is what many students do.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TrueSnapdragon - As a childhood cancer survivor, you should still be seeing your oncologist every year for follow up, or attending a late effects clinic even if it's with another pediatric oncologist. Either your oncologist or the late effects program should have a social worker- check in with the social worker during your next visit. He or she will be aware of any local scholarships for childhood cancer survivors. You can also do an internet search of scholarships for childhood cancer survivors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer - Don't think about past as you are good student you deserve scholarship.

    ReplyDelete