Sunday, October 9, 2011

Blood In The Stool? Colon/bowel Cancer?

396545116 My grandparent has been seeing blood in his poo for almost 2 weeks. Just a bit pain in below the abdominal area (only when releasing). No tiredness or any pain (other than when releasing).
Anything else is normal. No lump or anything
I am planning to have blood check done on him to make sure that it is not bowel/colon cancer.
Where should I go? doctor first? What kind of clinic? and

Importantly, what kind of test should I ask for? I wonder how much will it be. He doesn't have insurance, but I'm willing to help out as much as I can

I guess I am looking for the type of blood test I should ask to be done on him? What should I ask the clinician to look for?
I have no idea, just looking for idea

3 comments:

  1. Ifyoumustgo - Primary care doctor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily - You can contact any local low-cost clinic. He will need to see the doctor - you can't order a test without seeing a doctor first. All you have to tell them is that he's had blood in his stool for 2 weeks - you don't have to ask them to do anything specific. My guess is that they'll do a fecal occult, though if the blood is visible in his stool they may not need to. After they confirm what type of blood is in his stool (what type of vessel it came from), they'll know what additional testing needs to be done.

    Blood in the stool can be from something as simple as hemorrhoids or as complex as colon cancer. Before the doctors get into a lot of additional testing, you need to talk to the doctor about what they're testing for, and what treatment for that will cost (financially and in terms of quality of life). Your grandparent may not want additional testing if he's not willing to go through the pain of chemotherapy or radiation. Remember that he's part of these decisions as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kenneth - Maybe you may go to Web MD and type in your symptoms for some online health ideas!

    ReplyDelete